Do you want to spend a day celebrating fly fishing, our great California rivers, and spend time with friends and fellow advocates for our fisheries? This will be what YubaFest is all about. The Northern California Council, Fly Fishers International and our partners are organizing fun days of family focused education, learning, good food and music, and bringing our fishing community together to enjoy this wonderful River.
The event is Dedicated to the late Jon Baiocchi, our friend, fishing guide, and Yuba River advocate. Please come to celebrate Jon’s life and what he stood for. It will be a day of joy, music and fun.
The event will include:
Partner booths – NCCFFI, Cal Trout, TU, Gold Country Fly Fishers, and many other partners who advocate for fisheries & watersheds and enjoy fishing.
Learning opportunities –
- Fly Fishing 101 – how to fly fish
- How to fly cast – presenting the fly to fish
- Participate in the FFI fly casting challenge – a skills test – bronze, silver levels
- Entomology – what fish eat
- How to create flies that catch fish – fly tying starter
- Women in fly fishing (Women Connect)
- Fishing the Yuba – how to catch the wild rainbows of the Yuba
- Restoration work on the Yuba – SYRCL program to restore this great river
- Water safety – rivers are dangerous – how to stay safe
Food & drinks available throughout the day, including a BBQ dinner on Saturday
Music – Afternoon fun music, and Karrie O’Neill, singer/song writer for the evening
Story teller to bring the history & glory of the region to a personal level
Special women’s programs for learning and taking fishing trips together
Sunday special on-the-water teaching and fishing opportunities with possible casting classes too
Raffle & auction of fly fishing “stuff” as well as other non-fishing items.
Times for the event are: Saturday 10 – 5:30 for learning and river activities, 6 – 9 for dinner, story telling, and music around the camp fire (if we can have it).
Location: Sycamore Ranch Park, 5390 State Hwy. 20, Browns Valley, CA. 95918,
(530) 749-5435. Website: https://www.yuba.org/departments/community_development/ parks_&_campground.php
Reservations for camping: https://secure.itinio.com/yuba/
Please join us to celebrate the Yuba, Fly Fishing & Jon Baiocchi!
Posted on July 31st, 2022