Hook: Mustad 3906 or TMC 3769 (substitution , TMC 5262). Sizes 12-16
Thread: black 6/0, but I prefer 8/0
Rib: small gold wire
Tail: lemon wood duck flank feathers
Abdomen: Australian possum dubbing ( substitution, grey rabbit dubbing )
Legs: same as tail
Thorax: same as abdomen
1. Attach thread 1/3 back on shank.
2. Position wire under shank. Wrap in place to rear of shank. NOTE: wire under shank prevents it from repositioning tail when spiraling it forward.
3. Line up tips of feather out to side of stem. Cut about 8 from stem. Tie to top of shank, tips extending about 2/3’s shank length beyond shank. Cut excess mid shank.
4. Dub a slightly tapered body 2/3’s shank forward.
5. Spiral rib forward in about 5 wraps. Tie off. Twist wire to break. NOTE: wire dulls scissors.
6. Using one feather, line up tips just beyond rear of hook. Fold feather around hook shank. Tie in place with a couple wraps. Check to see if barbs extend backward all the way around shank. Make a couple more thread wraps. Cut excess.
7. Using dubbing loop, wrap a generous fuzzy thorax.
8. Holding fuzz back, wrap a sm. thread head. Tie off. Cut excess.
Posted on November 24th, 2020