HOOK: Mustad 34007 size 1/0 or 2/0
THREAD: white flat waxed nylon
EYES: barbell eyes-white with black pupil
BELLY: 1.Doug’s Bugs Motion Flash-pearl (similar to Krystal Flash or Mega Baitfish Emulator. These are thicker strands. So use fewer.)
2. Gold craft fur.
3. White or cream craft fur.
BACK: Zap-A-Gap or similar glue.
- Crimp barb.
- Attached thread behind eye. With touching wraps, cover front 1/2 of shank. Position thread 1/2 way between hook eye and point.
- Attach eyes to top of shank with figure 8 wraps and wraps around base of barbells. Apply glue to thread wraps. Advanced thread to in front of eyes.
- Using about 15 strands of flash, cut in half, bundle. NOTE: If using other materials, they at thicker strands, so use less. Also when fibers bundled they should be 5 inches long. Place center of bundle in front of eyes, tie in place with two wraps. Fold forward strands rearward and tie in place with 2 wraps behind eyes.
- Advance thread to in front of eyes. Cut patch, about 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch, of gold craft fur and clean out fuzz. Tie in butt ends snuggly up against eyes. Then wrap down with two wraps behind eyes.
- Advanced thread to in front of eyes. Cut and prepare patch of white craft fur, about 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch, as above. Tie in as above.
- Advance thread to in front of eyes. Tie a half hitch. Reposition hook upside down vise.
- Prepare olive craft for, 1/2 inch by three-quarter inch, as above. Tie in only in front of eyes. Wrap down but ends forming a tapered nose.
- Whip finish, cut thread, apply glue to nose and fibers between eyes.
- Trim extra long fibers to shape fly. Overall length of fly should be about 3 inches.
Having clousers to fish for stripers is essential. Here’s one to try next time you go for these powerful fish.
Posted on August 25th, 2022